Saturday 9 January 2016

Anima Tactics Production By Cipher Studios Ends?

Well, last year's announcement by Cipher Studios was bad enough for Anima Tactics, and now it looks like Anima Tactics minis have suddenly become more scarce.

A fan asked Ninja Division about restocks of minis:
"Are the out-of-stock Anima Tactics minis on the webstore now gone for good?"

And this was the reply from Ninja Division:
(source link)
"that is correct."

So it looks like whatever supplies are available are currently the last remaining copies of the various minis. Taking a brief look around the internet suggests availability is very reduced for much of the range compared to this time last year.

It also means that the last few releases (Sharsha, September, Nimrod and Anaximenes) may be among the rarest minis for the game.

It could be that Cipher Studios plan to move ahead separately from Ninja Division, but that does not seem likely.

What seems the case is that the promised Legion and Limited Edition Celia are not going to appear. I have asked about those two minis specifically, and not received an explicit answer from Ninja Division.

I accept that this is speculation, taken from the information available, however it means I strongly believe the first era of Anima Tactics is pretty much done except for the arrival of The Bearer and The Nameless miniatures as part of the Gate of Memories Kickstarter.

I retain some hope for a future of some iteration of the game, and I hope that somehow the existing characters make their way into any hypothetical future edition, even if only in the form of game rules if the minis won't ever be produced again.

12 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry to hear this news PulpCitizen. Not because I play the game or own the minis myself because I don't. But because its clearly a range/genre you were enjoying painting and posting about, and I was certainly in awe of both the sculpting and your paint-jobs. Its happened to me a few times with other ranges so my fingers are crossed that you can get the minis you're after :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, another nail in the At coffin, but not surprising either.

      The problem for me with those two minis is that at least one of them had some copies cast and given out, but tracking down an available copy is next to impossible.

      Delete
  2. This is a real shame, Pulpcitizen, there were some really nice miniatures in the range, and it's always a shame when something like this dies, sadly if a game isn't that well supported by the public then a point gets reached where it is no longer viable to produce stuff for it, and as the minis were so nice, I imagine the sculpting wasn't cheap!!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roger. Totally agree a line should last as long as it is viable, just disappointed that Cipher and Ninja Division previously had indicated that Legion and LE Celia would be available, which now looks to not be the case.

      Delete
    2. Sometimes you just cant tell what going to be a hit and what isn't, there are mini lines that I've thought were fantastic that have gone "poof", and others that I've thought no chance that have gone from strength to strength. It's odd what sparks some peoples imaginations.

      (Mind you the film companies thought that about Star Wars).

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
  3. That is sad news, I've been following the game since the beginning and we used to play it a lot too.
    Why ND ever bothered to get the IP for Anima Tactics is bestond me.
    True, many games get revived (Helldorado, Alkemy, ...) in one form or another. But this is usually after the company that produced the game dissappeared with the them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think ND (read Soda pop) basically seemed to rescue an ailing Cipher, and Cipher certainly did not seem to support its two main lines very well IMHO, especially in the last 3-4 years.

      I think delivering the HD Kickstarter had a detrimental effect on the company.

      Delete
  4. Sh*t news mate. Gutted for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is what it is. I will be keeping my eyes open for the missing two minis.

      Delete
  5. Well, shame. I was really looking forward to get my hands on Nimrod. Maybe i will find him in some way, but trully: shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a big shame, totally agree. Good luck to you in your quest to get him.

      Delete

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget