Monday 6 May 2013

Elhaym, Maiden Of Light

The Elhaym, also known as Maidens of Light, are light elementals, believed by some on Gaia to be angels.

This one is my second Summon unit, (after the Wrath of Nature), and to be honest I am less pleased with the painting on this one than the previous Summon. I believe that sometimes a mini just does not turn out how you want or expect, even with awareness and acceptance of one's limitations as a painter. Maybe it is the choice of painting in pink, which is a colour I am still learning to work with, but I found this a struggle to finish. Admittedly I did rush it a bit at first in a desperate bid to finish for those recent games, but even so I found it a struggle and want to paint another to do a better job (hopefully!). Whatever the reason I just wish this was better.

I really like the model (and before you ask, yes I have dropped it already, and yes, the wings did fall off...), I just don't think it is among the best Anima Tactics minis I have painted so far (not that there are too many to choose from...).

As I start to accumulate more painted Summons, it highlights the need to get some more Summoners painted up. I currently have Valis Ul Del Vilfain and Sarah Reindhold, but the latter is a poor Summoner choice in my humble opinion, so more options are necessary. I do have Genma, Covel and now Belith in the painting queue, however that can be a movable feast as to what gets to the front of the queue and gets finished, so who knows which will be finished and when.

I think Summons are one of the cool things that sets Anima Tactics apart from a lot of other low-model count skirmish games, so are very much something I want to make use of and have a variety of options for.

Game-wise I have yet to see enough yet to judge how effective I think the Elhaym may be. I was very impressed with the Wrath of Nature in the game in which we used the Summons, but it may be that the Elhaym is trickier to use effectively - time will tell!

Not too much to say on Advantage Cards, except that while Summons cannot usually have them, Familiar is probably a must-have in most situations (Optional Leader Covel and maybe Genma excepted).

On the painting front, well despite me wanting to get some more Summoners painted, I reckon the most likely unit to be completed next will be Janus Faith as I managed to get quite a bit done with him over the past few days.


Running Totals
Anima Tactics Minis: 115 (added: Anna Never; Aoi Inukai; Azur Agent (Male); Belith; Celia; Cenette; Duncan Reid; Empire Agent (Male) x2; Odin Goldsmith; Shinigami Ayl; XII; and Lilith - yep another splurge or two...)
Anima Tactics Minis Painted: 17
Painted Minis Percentage: 14.8% (percentage of AT minis owned that are painted; this has dropped due to the big influx-  time to get cracking!)



6 comments:

  1. I think it looks great. The only thing I can that bothers me I think there needs to be some sort of contrast between the flesh and the pink clothing. I wonder if you control washed a brown ink (bit like black lining but not so harsh) in between the flesh and cloth it might make the figure pop that little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. It is something I could do, but I hate black lining aesthetically; there is an Ogryn Flesh wash there, but i am reluctant to go darker as it may end up to close to black lining.

      Delete
    2. No worries mate :D Black would be far to harsh. I use agthrax earth shade very thin in the recesses.

      Delete
    3. I don't use the new GW washes, so *may* try eiether thin Gryphonne Sepia or Devlan Mud.

      Delete
  2. Interestingly enough, I never dug Summons that much, as they seemed like a hefty investment of resources for an unreliable team addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me they are so evocative of the source inspiration, even while my 'gamer head' accepts they are probably resource sinks, they are things I want to use in game to emulate that feel I loved in games like FF7, FF8, BoF etc.

      Delete

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget